Born in Strasbourg city in 2009, out of the architecture school, the « Collectif Etc » aim to gather desires toward civic dynamics of public space’s issues. Using different resources and skills, the « Collectif » wish to offer various supports for experimentation.
The way France designs its cities mainly follows top-down and hierarchical process. Together with experts of city planning, it usually follows strict spaces and fixed times. Nevertheless, we think that the collection of disparate city users (both experts and citizens) might be all, at different scales, actors of their own environment. We hope to interfere in that vertical framework and set up a network of social and artistic interactions, creating meetings and debates.
Our projects desire to be optimistic, open-minded and directed toward the spontaneous cities’ audience. Most of them deal with public spaces, and try to include local citizens into the creative process. They figure built installations, urban furnitures, scenographies, light and removable set-up. We also initiate meetings, debates, participate to many conferences and pedagogical workshops.
The aim of these urban experiments do not only take its importance in the built objects but mostly in the tracks that lead to it, the new atmosphere and unused behaviours it might produce.
Here are a few texts we’ve wrote and a choice of projects’ english summaries.
– A point of view on the « future of architecture »
– A point of view on the « Availability »
– The PhD of Florent Chiappero, one of us
– An english version of the book we’ve wrote on a trip around France we’ve made in 2012 that aimed to meet different cities’ civic initiatives :
Projects with english abstracts (click on the right) :
– 2011, Place au Changement, Saint-Etienne, France.
– 2013, Autobarrios, in Madrid.
– 2014, Darmstadt, in Osthang, Germany.
– 2016, La Cité de Chantier, in Caen, France.
– 2016, Papomo, in Marseille,